How to Hide Netgear Router SSID or WiFi Name?
This blog covers step-by-step instructions on how to hide Netgear router SSID or WiFi name.
Wondering why you must hide the SSID of your WiFi router? Well, wonder no more! Learn that, by hiding, Netgear router SSID or WiFi name, you can protect your WiFi from intruders as well as secure it from various potential threats.
Convinced? Well if yes then walk through the steps given below and get familiar with the process of hiding WiFi name or Netgear router SSID. Let’s get started!
Steps to Hide Netgear Router SSID
If you want to add an extra layer of protection to your Netgear Nighthawk WiFi router, then it is better to hide SSID of your device. Here’s how:
Before you get started with the process, make sure your Netgear router is configured in a proper manner. FYI, you can set up your Netgear router either using the Nighthawk app or by accessing the routerlogin.net web address.
- Plug in your router to a working power socket and set the power button to the on position.
- Make sure your Netgear Nighthawk router is connected to the existing modem with the help of an Ethernet cable. If the cable connecting your devices has cuts, then either replace the cable with a new one or connect both your devices wirelessly.
- Wait for a while and let the LED lights on your router turn green.
- Get access to your PC and open a web browser on it.
Pro Tip: The internet browser you would be using must be updated to the latest software version and free of cache and cookies, although you can choose between Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge, etc.
- Head towards the search bar of your browser and type routerlogin.net into it.
- As soon as you press the Enter key, you will be taken to the login page of your Nighthawk router.
Note: At times users face issues while accessing the login page of their routers using the default web address. If the same is the case with you, consider using the default IP to land on the Netgear Nighthawk router login page.
- Fill in login details of your Nighthawk router to the given fields and press the log in button.
Quick Tip: If after configuring your router, you have changed the password of your device, then make sure you use the changed login details to get success with the Netgear router login process.
- You will get redirected to the Netgear Nighthawk setup wizard.
- Reaching here, navigate to the settings of your device and locate the Wireless option under the Basic tab.
Note: The location of the Wireless option may vary as per the model you are making use of. Thus, dig deeper if the option is not located by you under the Basic tab.
- Now, locate the Enable SSID Broadcast option and uncheck it.
- Hitting the Apply button, all changes made by you to the settings of your Netgear router will come into effect.
- Once done, access any of your WiFi-enabled devices and go to its network settings.
- Check if the name of your WiFi is showing in the list revealed or not.
- If not, then congratulations you have got success with the process of disabling Netgear router SSID.
Just in case you still can see the name of your WiFi in the list of available WiFi networks, then try disabling the Netgear router SSID using the Netgear router app. This is recommended, perhaps, you are not following the right process to disable SSID of your router using the web management page of your router. This is because the app will guide you with the process of disabling Netgear router SSID in a better way. However, make sure you download the latest version of the Netgear app before getting started with the process.
In a Nutshell
This is all about how to disable Netgear router SSID or WiFi name without any hassle. In case you need any more assistance when it comes to hiding the SSID of your device, feel free to contact our technical experts for quick help.